Chicken Soup with Almonds – for Winter season, and for any seasons
Chicken Soup with Almonds
- Tridoshic (Vata, Pitta, Kapha) recipe
- Serves 4
1 cup – blanched almonds
2 tablespoons of Ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 cup chopped Leek
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Fennel seed
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground Cardamom
1 medium carrot, sliced
1/2 cup shelled fresh or frozen Peas
3/4 cup coarsely chopped skinless boneless Chicken
3 cups organic Chicken Stock
1 cup organic light gream
1 tablespoon finely chopped Cilantro, for garnish
1. Soak the almonds in filtered water for 1 to 2 hours, drain and remove skins.
2. Heat the Ghee in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the Leek, and Ginger and saute, stirring frequently, until the leek softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the Fennel and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the Salt, Pepper, Turmeric, and Cardamom. Add the Carrot, Peas, Almonds, and Chicken and stir continuously for 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil over high heat, then simmer the soup for 20 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool at room temperature until warm, about 30 minutes. Puree the soup until smooth in blender or food processor.
4. Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and stir in the cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce the heat and continue cooking until very hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
5. Ladle the soup into heated serving bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Note: For Dairy-free, substitue coconut milk for the cream. For Ghee, substitue sunflower oil.
– Eat. Taste. Heal An Ayurvedic Guidebook and CookBook for Modern Living: Thomas Yarema, M.D, Daniel Rhoda, D.A.S, Chef Johnny Branningan
– the image credit: hungryhomemaker.blogspot.com
You must be logged in to post a comment.