Bananas – Ayurvedic Perspectives
8 different ways to use Bananas as medicine – (use ripe bananas unless otherwise stated)
Unripe bananas are astringent and cooling with pungent effect after digestion.
Ripe bananas are sweet and heating with a sour effect after digestion.
Bananas are aphrodisiac and energize muscle, fat, and nerve and reproductive tissues.
1. For Emotional, obsessive eating habits: 1 banana chopped up with 1 teaspoon of ghee and a pinch of cardamom is very effective. This is also useful for hypoglycemia, constipation or muscle cramps.
2. If there is burning urination due to insomnia, constipation and acidic pH, eating 1 or 2 bananas with a pinch of cumin powder helps. This should be taken in between meals.
3. In cases of dry cough or cough without much mucus and accompanied by chest pain, eat 1 or 2 bananas with 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 pinches of ground black pepper, 2 or 3 times a day.
4. Two bananas, five fresh figs, and five fresh dates chopped together with a spoonful or two of honey, plus 2 pinches of ginger powder is a whole meal and good tonic for muscular weakness or muscle wasting
5. In cases of chronic bronchial asthma, insert about 7 cloves into a peeled banana and keep it overnight. Next morning eat the banana and the cloves. One hour later, drink 1 cup of hot water with 1 teaspoon of honey. This will give energy to the lungs and the wheezing should be reduced.
6. In case of diarrhea, try eating 2 green (unripe) chopped bananas with 1 teaspoon of ghee and 2 pinches of ginger powder. Drink 1 cup of hot water one hour later.
7. For excess urination often associated with diabetes, try eating 1 unripe banana with 1/3 cup of bitter melon juice, once a day.
8. To stop hiccoughs, eat 2 chopped bananas mixed with 1 teaspoon of ghee, 1/2 teaspoon of honey and 2 pinches of ginger powder.
– Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Mrs. Usha Lad and Dr. Vasant Lad –
You must be logged in to post a comment.