Grapes are gentle laxative and are rich in iron, hence are good for iron-deficient anemia.
Green grapes are sour, sweet, heating, and has sweet after digestion effect. Green grapes stimulate Kapha, and Pitta, and are acceptable for Vata only in moderation.
Red, purple, or black grapes are tridoshic. They are sweet, sour, astringent, and has cooling energy with sweet after digestion effect.
1. Mix 1 cup of grape juice with 1 teaspoon of fresh onion juice and 1 teaspoon of honey. If one takes this mixture once a day for 45 days, an hour before bed, it will help increase the sperm count and endurance. Note: Kapha individuals should add a pinch of Trikatu (equal parts of: dry ginger, black pepper, and pippali).
2. An individual having repeated attacks of Cystitis, Urethritis or Burning Urination should try 1 cup of grape juice with a pinch of rock salt and 1 teaspoon of cumin powder. Take this 2 or 3 times a day.
3. For chest pain, Pleurisy and Muscle weakness, try 1 cup of grape juice, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon of ginger power on an empty stomach twice a day.
4. For excess pitta conditions causing Anger, Hate, and Burning Sensation in the Stomach, or Urethra, drink a mixture of 1 cup of grape juice, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of fennel and 1/2 teaspoon of sandalwood powder.
5. For Fever, use the same mixture as in #4.
6. For Sexual Debility, mix 1 cup of grape juice, a pinch of pippali, 1/2 teaspoon of rock candy or natural sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of Ashwagandha. Drink 1 hour before bed .
7. One ounce of finely ground powder of dry grape seeds and a pinch of edible camphor is a useful mixture for brushing the teeth. It helps Gingivitis, Pyorrhea, and Receding Gums.
8. For Chronic Cough, Asthma and Respiratory Allergies, try the following mix;
- 1 part seedless grapes
- 1 part ghee
- 1/2 part honey
Put it in a jar or crock with a cork or a loose lid. Keep it in a warm place covered by a blanket for 15 days. Strain. Take 1 teaspoon twice a day.
9. eating a handful of raisins every day, an hour after meals can help with conditions of Anemia, Enlarged Liver/Spleen, and Constipation.
– Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Mrs. Usha Lad and Dr. Vasant Lad –
* grape image credit: istockphoto