Coconut is sweet and cooling with a sweet after digestion effect.
The flesh of the coconut is hard, heavy and oily, and the center is liquid.
Coconut pacifies Vata and Pitta, but may aggravate Kapha in excess.
Coconut oil is useful for external application.
Note: Coconut water is the juice inside the coconut; coconut milk is made from grating the white flesh and mixing it with a cup or so of water. Let sit a few minutes and squeeze out of coconut milk.
1. For itchy Eczema, apply burned, powdered coconut to the skin.
2. For Burning skin or Sunburn, apply coconut oil.
3. for Burning Urination, try drinking 1 cup of coconut water.
4. For Measles, Chicken Pox or Other Skin Rash, coconut water will help.
5. If hair is thinning and /or falling out, apply coconut oil to the scalp.
6. In cases of Dandruff, Itching Scalp or Vitiligo (patches of skin without pigment), apply coconut milk locally.
7. Try using coconut oil for fungal infections of the nails.
8. For Profuse Menstrual Bleeding, taking 1 cup of coconut water with 1/2 teaspoon of rock candy powder (or organic sugar) may help.
9. For cases of Ulcers from Colitis, an Enema with 1 pint of coconut milk can bring some relief.
10. A Tooth powder made from finely ground coconut shell with a pinch of edible camphor is beneficial for receding and bleeding gums.
– Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Mrs Usha Lad and Dr. Vasant Lad –
– the image credit to: technologyexchangelab.org –