Apples are good for Pitta and Kapha, and too drying for Vata unless it is well cooked and spiced – The skin of the apple is hard to digest and can cause gas. Do not eat the seeds of apple, for they are astringent and bitter and can cause Vata aggravation.
Sweet Apples are slightly astringent in taste, with cooling affect, and has sweet effect after digestion.
Sour Apples are mainly astringent in taste, also with cooling affect, and has pungent effect after digestion.
1. Raw apple, even though it stimulates Vata, relieves constipation, bleeding gums and over salivation. It is traditionally used for Stomatitis (an inflammation of the oral mucous membrane or cold sores in the mouth).
One can peel and chew an apple thoroughly, an hour or so after meal, to help regularize the bowels and to clean the tongue and teeth.
2. Apple juice is helpful for burning sensations in Pitta conditions such as Gastritis, Colitis, and Bladder infections.
3. To help stop Diarrhea and Dysentery, peel and cook a couple of apples until soft. Add a pinch of nutmeg, saffron, and 1 teaspoon of ghee and eat slowly.
4. Delicious Dessert: Honey-Apple Pulp
- This dessert is a good energetic food for the heart muscles, relaxes the blood vessels and helps to to relieve swelling of the feet. Traditionally it is used as a food for people with Varicose veins, Insomnia, and Sexual Debility, and Arthritis. –
- Remove the skins and the core from 5 apples – and blend or mash the mixture to make a pulp.
- Add honey to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Add 1/8 teaspoon of powdered cardamom
- A pinch each of Saffron and Nutmeg
- 10 drops of Rose Water or a few organic rose petals
Note: This dessert can be eaten at least an hour after meal.
Note: Ayurveda says do not take Milk, Yogurt, or Fish at least 4 hours either before or after eating this dessert, because it makes a bad food combination.
– Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing by Mrs. Usha Lad and Dr. Vasant Lad -